Way to go JP! You are so right.

-----Original Message-----
From: Joseph Hughes <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Fri, May 21, 2010 9:11 am
Subject: Re: recertification

Hello Lisa, et al:

I have not read all of the e-mails in this thread, so I'm sorry if someone
already explained this.

Each of the credentialing bodies in U/S - ARDMS, CCI, ARRT - are accredited by a
particular body to prove that their tests and credentials are valid and reflect
the body of work currently performed in the field. The ARDMS and ARRT are
accredited via the National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA) for all of
their exams, with a few exceptions on ARRT exams. A few years ago, the ARDMS
decided that they wanted to have an international presence and pursued
accreditation through the International Standards Organization-American National
Standards Institute (ISO-ANSI). About two years ago, CCI did the same. This has
been public knowledge for quite some time.

A few years ago, the ARDMS put out a questionnaire about re-certification and
gathered representatives from all of the ultrasound organizations, including
SVU. They gathered the groups to discuss HOW, not IF, recertification was to be
carried out. They could have done many things, including retaking the exams and
charging for them, however, they developed this delivery method.

Essentially, ARDMS like many medical profession credentialing bodies, are
required, under the rules of THEIR accreditation, to assure that those with
their credential are recertified. You can look up the numerous professions that
require recertification. CME does not assure that someone absorbed material, or
even attended a seminar for that matter. Having been involved on the SVU-CME
Committee and attended numerous CME policy meetings, there are numerous methods
to get CME but it is difficult to police the process for accuracy of information
presented or to assure that CME was obtained for the intended reason- education.
But that's a different subject.

Licensure was mentioned in the thread too. Licensure in NM and OR, the first two
states to require it, require the tech to have a credential and pay an annual
few. BTW, who mentioned it's just another way for for someone to make money?

I have read so many threads on Flownet about how we should be recognized as
professional, and no one gives us respect, and we should be able read studies
ourselves, and Blah Blah Blah. An organization who is arguably recognized as THE
ultrasound credentialing body, is required to recertify its constituents, puts
together a fairly innocuous plan that won't go into effect for quite awhile, and
we complain.

But that's OK because that's what the Flownet is for - a forum to exchange
ideas, good or bad, right or wrong.

JPH