Follow up for evaluatng indirectly:

It is felt that a true parallel prone aquisition of the egmental arteries emphasises the presence more clearly if the ESP is present. Anterior views through the liver tend to 'erase' this portion from the doppler effect due to a poor insonation angle.

Derek

From: UVM Flownet on behalf of Derek Butler
Sent: Thu 5/6/2010 10:40 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Renal artery Doppler, partial study If positive?

Hey All,

I agree that one must do a complete renal 2D evaluation and a complete renal artery doppler. From my perspective, one should perfom a full direct visualization of the Renal arteries, a complete upper-mid-lower pole segmental indirect evaluation to include both an acceleration time < .075 seconds and a RI as well as presence for the Early Systolic Peak (esp). Evalauting the overall mechanical presentaion of the renal anatomy, intrinsic flow and extrinsic flow is the only way to go. Anything less. imo, is falling short of the complete picture.

At times, we find an almost hemodnynamically significant stenosis with a morphed presentation of the ESP, in this case we feel that there is RAS but it may be in the 40-60% range. Regardless of this, the phsyicians will almost always do an angio with the predication of performing revascularization, even if it is < 60% which literature indicates is the cause for RAS in most presentations.

What if the esp is morphed, the velocity is just below 180 cm/sec with a ratio say 2.4, and an acceleration time just below .075 seconds. In this case the patient would have RAS, but on the verge of being hemodynamically significant. Duplex ultrasound can always predict almost any stage of RAS imo.

Derek