personally I find it unlikely too, but obviously there is some disagreement between even our vascular surgeons. What I am trying to avoid is having to act differently for each of our 8 surgeons, 5 interventional radiologists, and 22 vascular techs. ( We have a big, busy lab) 800 plus bed hospital, and all the surgeons outpatients are done by our lab also. to have a cut and dry protocol would be nice.

 Greg
-----Original Message-----
From: UVM Flownet [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Doug
Sent: Friday, May 07, 2010 10:05 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: TO ABI OR NOT TO ABI...

PE from ankle pressure... Never heard of that one? I would find that highly unlikely..

Doug Marcum
RDMS,RDCS,RVT(APS),RPhS
*Advanced Ultrasound Consultants
*Global Vein Solutions
www.advancedusconsultants.com
321-231-2191
Sent from my iPhone

On May 7, 2010, at 9:52 AM, "Ruhland, Greg F." <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hey everyone,
   I always read the flow but I don't always participate, I feel the interested in what we might have to say about this subject.

   My lab has co-medical directors, interventionalist and vascular surgeon. The question was brought up… do you perform an ABI on a patient positive for DVT. A fairly heated discussion followed from 3 surgeons and 1 interventionalist very firmly divided on the subject. For all the obvious reasons. Possible to cause P.E., the need to know of arterial complications. Would an ankle pressure really be enough to cause P.E., Blah blah, blah. We all know there are good arguments for both schools of thought.

  What do you think, and does your lab have a set protocol? ( I think it should be different depending on each particular case, extent of DVT, other complications…ect.

  Just wondering if it will spark the same intensity of debate for one side or the other.
     Greg Ruhland RVT