Wally,

I have lived and worked in Texas for my entire life.  I assume you are referring to some type of hard copy records (films, tapes, etc.).  Before the days of PACS the rule of thumb that was followed was this:

Adult exams (studies done on patients >= 18 yo) keep for 7 years
Pediatric exam (studies done on patients < 18 yo) keep till 18th or 7 years whichever is longer
Mammograms keep forever

Now in the era of PACS where you can keep thousands of exams archived on CD's (even more on DVD's and utilizing compression techniques) I don't know if these rules have changed.

Paul English RT(N), CNMT, RDMS, RVT