Craig,

When I was a librarian, I often had to deal with donated books.  Usually,
I dealt with them by hiding them in a closet.  Most people didn't
understand that 1) those books might not be suitable to the collection and
2) even if they were, there was a cost to accessioning them.  A book
needed to be catalogued, covered and, in those days, have a circulation
card made and a pocket mounted inside the back cover.  And I was pretty
damn busy as it was, thank you very much.  Obviously, if the book had real
value it would be worth the effort, but people often say to librarians,
regarding books of questionable merit, "Why don't you just put them out
there on the shelf?  You never know, someone someday might be interested
in one of them."   Sorry, no can do.

There is also a cost to using a "free" piece of computer equipment in a
school; it costs money to support it. Maybe we should calculate what that
cost might be and state that any piece of equipment a teacher wants to
bring in from outside for use in the school - at least one they expect to
get any support on - must be accompanied by a fee to pay for that support.
When a teacher shows up in need of help with such a piece of equipment,
ask if they have the receipt for their payment of that fee.  If not, tell
them to take the equipment elsewhere or throw it on the pile and "we'll
see if we can get to it this summer some time. No promises."

But, really, we probably don't want to deal with it even with a fee paid.
We all have technology plans and most of us have more specific plans about
the makes and models of the equipment we will purchase.  Factoring into
those choices are suitability, durability and basic support
considerations.  Oddball equipment thrown into the mix is disruptive,
confusing, and time-consuming.  If a teacher makes such equipment "mission
critical", as far as I'm concerned, their mission may well end up in
critical condition. It may sound mean spirited, but we need to protect our
sanity.

Tell 'em, "Sorry."

-Vince "Always Helpful" Rossano