Not practical at all.
You know how big a fight it was here to go PC and not Apple 11 years
ago? So, who gets to make the grand decision(s) and will those people
change jobs every two years?
And, how do you outfit a 200 year old building with the same
technology infrastructure designed for a brand new school building?
That PC/Apple fight continues to this day in some school systems.

Honestly, hardware is not really the big expense these days anyway.
At least in my view. Huge software discounts are necessary. Free is
great but in training students for advancement into the outside
world, should we not be teaching them to use the most common software
products?

I am not saying the State should dictate software but should
negotiate for a master list of software that can be purchased at far
greater discounts than are available now and cover primary platforms.

At 02:02 PM 6/4/2010, you wrote:

>On Jun 4, 2010, at 1:47 PM, Isham, David wrote:
>
>>They keep changing the models!
>
>Not to mention, the paradigm. Can you say:
>
>- iPad
>- Android
>- Chrome
>- (and any day now) OLPC :)
>
>etc ...
>
>I'd say the core issues are institutional ...
>

>- budgeting,
>- life cycle management (repace every 3 years, 4 years, 5 years,
>till death do us part ?)
>- technology planning ....
>
>Until you get a single budget, you won't have a unified technology plan ...
>

>... which brings us back to DO.

Tech Support
Townshend School District
PO Box 226