From: Thomas Candon <[log in to unmask]>

Date: June 10, 2010 11:24:31 AM EDT

Subject: Securing the eCampus 2010: July 19-21 @ Dartmouth College

For the past three years CIOs, CISOs and other academic IT leaders have met in Hanover, NH to discuss how information security has become a significant campus-wide concern and an institution-wide responsibility. We are pleased to announce the 4th Annual “Securing the eCampus” conference and invite you to join us this year in discussing the unique challenges of cyber security in academia and what it takes to build a culture of security at your institution.

The first day of the conference will offer something new to participants. At no additional cost, eCampus will offer two training seminars on a first come, first served basis (the first 25 RSVPs will be admitted).  The two training seminars offered are:

  • Into the Cloud: A hands-on workshop exploring the pros and cons of hosting servers in public, private, and hybrid Clouds.
  • Data Driven Security: A different approach to determining security requirements.

Registration for these training seminars is included in the overall conference registration.

Day two will feature our traditional offering of presentations from leaders in the information security field. This year we will offer presentations on privacy, regulations and policy, security awareness, cybercrime, and cyberwar in addition to panels on cloud computing. Our presenters include:

  • Executive Director of the National Cyber Security Alliance (NCSA) Michael Kaiser;
  • Author, attorney, educational consultant, and expert witness Frederick Lane;
  • EDUCAUSE Vice President for Policy and Analysis Gregory Jackson;
  • Microsoft Research's Cormac Herley;
  • Technologist, entrepreneur, and international security expert Matthew Devost; and
  • Attorney Ray Beckerman
  • as well as panel discussions on cloud computing featuring leaders from the legal and academic communities

The third day will include break-out sessions that allow participants to discuss specific topic areas in smaller groups and in a more informal setting. Topics will range from e-discovery for higher education, emerging technical threats, hacker tools and the hacker curriculum, and social networking and the student.  The conference will begin with the optional seminars on the afternoon of Monday, July 19th and will conclude on the afternoon of July 21st.

Details on the conference and registration information can be found on our website at: http://www.ists.dartmouth.edu/events/ecampus/ and on NERCOMP's (the Northeast Regional Computing Program) "Upcoming Events" page.

The registration fee for the conference is $125 and includes breakfast, lunch, snacks and a networking event on July 20th, breakfast, lunch and snacks on July 21st, and attendance at one of the optional seminars on July 19th (first come, first served).

We have set aside a block of rooms for the conference at the Courtyard by Marriott - Hanover/Lebanon.   The guaranteed room rate is $159 for a single/king or double/2 queens.  To get the group rate call 603.643.5600 and ask for the "DC, eCampus" block.  You can also register online at www.marriott.com/LEBCY and enter "DCBDCBA" for the group code for a single/king room, or "DCBDCBB" for a double/2 queens room.  Please make your reservations as soon as possible.  The cutoff date for the room block is June 19th.  Full hotel contact information is:

Courtyard by Marriott - Hanover/Lebanon

10 Morgan Drive Lebanon, NH 03766

Phone: 603.643.5600

FAX: 603.643.1578

http://www.marriott.com/LEBCY

Other hotel options are available on our website.

This workshop is co-hosted by the Institute for Security, Technology, and Society (ISTS) and Peter Kiewit Computing Services (PKCS) at Dartmouth College. Additional information about ISTS can be found at http://www.ists.dartmouth.edu/.  Information on Computing Services can be found at http://www.dartmouth.edu/comp/.

Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any questions regarding the workshop. For conference content and agenda questions, please contact either:

Tom Candon

Institute for Security, Technology, and Society

603.646.8748

or

Adam Goldstein

Peter Kiewit Computing Services

603.646.9964

For conference logistical questions, please contact:

Deb Doscinski

Institute for Security, Technology, and Society

Program Assistant

603.646.0702

We look forward to seeing you in July!

Peter Drescher