Patricia:

We use SharePoint, and everyone loves it. I was looking for an easy and CHEAP (i.e. free) way to share information – especially transportation calendars, and accurate email address lists....allowing multiple “editors and contributors” ….rather than re-invent the wheel, I saw the free addition to Server 2003. We run WSS 3.0.

Built a demo site, sold concept to admin, then spent money on new server and everyone is on-board.

I what I like about it is how easily it integrates with AD and how groups may contribute content. We have about 12 folks who regularly post annoncements, add email addresses, update calendars, create schedules, post video etc. I wasn’t going to set it up so that only I would be getting calls to update content. Macintosh connection is sketchy, but it can be done using FireFox (I do not know about Safari)

The site is hosted here on campus, but as long as users have an account in AD, they may logon to the site remotely. I thought this would require an expensive enterprise portal, but our firewall simply ports traffic from http://sharepoint.vcdhh.org to the machine hosting the content.

Using group policy, I have made the Sharepoint site the default home page for any staff who logon locally. If they change their browser to Firefox, the Internet Explorer  policy obviously doesn’t get applied. (Some folks have figured this out)

The interface is easy to use. Now everyone is literally on the same page, which has really helped communuications. People have come to rely on it, and enhance it.

Feel free to contact me if you have any other questions.

Bill Clark

Austine School for the Deaf