SB is working to tame the aggressive nature of our web content filters.
So, we're working to focus more blocking sites on a block list and less
on phrases, words, and weighted lists (we're not there yet, but progress
is being made) so this move isn't going to worry us much.  Supervision
is key.

Unless Google starts acting as a proxy, does it really matter if we see
the actual search phrase and the results?  In the end we still see the
page hit or the blocked notification from a banned page.  All we will
lose is clearly showing intent to parents in a meeting, but unless we
actually see the student at the keyboard can we prove it was student A
and not student B hijacking student A's account?  Supervision is key.

Craig is absolutely right, filters can lead to sloppy supervision and a
false sense of security.  Supervision is key.

I think this year has been incredibly light on porn surfing and hacking
and heavy on attempts to use Facebook (this is only an observation and I
have no data to back it up)  It's almost like the students have better
things to do than look at naked people... what is wrong with kids these
days?

Mike

Michael Vining, SB IT Support
South Burlington School District