Good questions Mitch:
  BP's rig the Deepwater Horizon at 1,260 meters above the ocean floor
operates at but half the depth of the Independence Hub floating 2,414
meters above the ocean bottom.  These are but two of the 6669 platforms
and rigs active and removed of which 819 are presently still fully
manned.  In other words Deepwater Horizon was but one unlucky match in
the tinder box and BP but one of the oligopoly that produces 23% of US
oil out of the gulf (about 2% of global production).

Of even more significance is the pattern of consumption in the US (See
attached chart.).  2/3 of oil consumed in US goes for transportation.
The many idle and torn-up RR tracks are in part the consequence of
deliberate policy decisions almost 60 years ago that resulted in the
building of a network of highways to accommodate trucking and the
consciously stimulated emerging two-car per family households.
Gentrification in the cities as old factory buildings became apartments,
office suites, etc and the newer industries established production
facilities in circumurban industrial developments required inner city
workers to commute to work outside the city center with no choice but
gas guzzling clunkers.  Why no choice?  Because there has been no
significant investment in public transportation.  Then when the current
crisis threatened to terminate the US auto industry and it came suckling
at the federal teats, instead of using federal funds to retrain auto
workers and put them to work in a massive program to build modern public
transportation, the auto industry was pumped up and the government
instituted incentives for the purchase of new cars.  And what is our
role?  We complain about risky oil rigs and industry and government
malfeasance; but do not suggest, promote and campaign for the rational
alternatives that are actually realizable under this dysfunctional system.

Consider another relationship.  Bringing home the military in the
present economy with 15 million unemployed would tip the scale.  It
doesn't have the capacity to absorb more workers.   But bringing them
home to build infrastructure would save money and reduce oil consumption.

Our country is one big cauldron of boiling rage and dissatisfaction.
What is need is a positive program that can unite large numbers who
don't necessarily have to agree on everything.  What those who have a
revolutionary perspective must grasp is that the experience of
struggling for reasonable reforms and thereby discovering from where the
opposition comes and the irrationality of its defense of the status quo
is the school in which people learn who the enemy is, who they can
trust, and how they have much more in common with their neighbors than
with the turkeys in Washington.

Yes, that's a rant, and i'm not sorry.  And yes i am doing something
about it, not just ranting.  We don't have much time.
herb