Mainstream accounts of Colony Collapse Disorder omit the experience of the
organic apiarist.  Why would they do that -- when the organic experience
contains the least variables, and therefore is an invaluable context for the
understanding of CCD.  See http://harpub.co.cc/beeccd.htm

Organic beekeepers* are not experiencing CCD, though their bees also
encounter pesticides and genetically engineered crops. These beekeepers know
why: Oversize wax cells (artificial) lead to oversize brood and adult bees which
are unable to protect themselves from mites and pathogens.  Bee size-scale
has already been optimized by evolutionary processes during the last eon. See
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/12/061209083342.htm

Processed commercial sugars used as supplanted bee food, while overtaking
the bee's stored honey, and chemical treatments, lead to additional bee
weakness. These technical invasions leads to hive poisoning and mite and
pathogen infestation. Bees are normally able to groom mites from each other
and from their hives.

Jim West
http://harpub.co.cc

*Organic beekeeping pertains to methods of beekeeping, not the impossible
task of absolutely excluding pesticided crops.