Hi Andy,

Since temperature is a critical item, you should monitor with a certified
thermometer.  The thermometer must be calibrated by an ISO 17025 accredited
calibration laboratory and have sufficient resolution over the intended
temperature range to be measured.

For example:  http://www.icllabs.com/PET%20Thermometers.htm

Hope this helps,

Ed Paski

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 11:33 PM, Wolfram Meier-Augenstein <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi Andy,
>

> We run our off-line acid digests in a solid metal heater block (VWR)
> with 72 positions.
>
> We "calibrated" the temperature control dial by measuring the
> temperature in a mock-up digest vial with an old fashioned thermometer
> (and later with a thermocouple). The vial was placed in the centre
> position of the block and every other position was occupied to create
> real life conditions.
>
> For the vial to reach 50 C we had to set the dial to 54.5 C.  However,
> this we did only (a) because we wanted to know what the offset was under
> typical conditions of use and (b) for reasons of writing an SOP and
> related record keeping. As other correspondents have already pointed
> out, as long as the principal of identical treatment is observed (i.e.
> standards are run concurrently and used for scale correction) absolute
> temperature is a secondary consideration.
>
> Temperature and reaction time become an issue when you are dealing with
> awkward customers such as ankerite, which even after a couple of days
> does not react with phosphoric acid at 25 C.
>

> Best,
>
> Wolfram
>

> ****************************
> Dr W Meier-Augenstein, CChem, FRSC
>
> Extension: 2624
> E-mail: [log in to unmask]
> URL (SCRI): http://www.scri.ac.uk/staff/wolframmeieraugenstein
> URL (MRS): http://www.isotopesignatures.co.uk

Edgar F. Paski, Ph.D.
1818 Riverside Drive
North Vancouver, BC   V7H 1V7
1-604-929-3213  landline
1-778-558-3801  mobile - North America only
63-929-401-2092  SMS text only - International