HI All-

And nice chapter too...

If you move out of the stable isotope arena, you'll have different types of detectors too, geared more for sensitivity, e.g. electron or photo multipliers, and they usually only have one detector with a fixed range. (Yes, I'm avoiding time of flight and ion traps).  If you start doing LC-MS (electrospray) and MALDI (matrix assisted laser desorption), you'll also have matrix affects in the source.  You can usually get an order of magnitude linear working range, using an internal standard/isotope dilution.  For organic chemists, the M+1 on a small molecule it used to determine carbon count, but you'll never get good natural abundance values on an HP 5800's ;)

FYI--some crude comparisons (I like Google (tm) searches):

Gasbench:  100ug calcium carbonate=1umol CO2 in ~10 mL, or 10 nmol in 100 uL (sampling loop) which is ~100 pmol 13CO2.
GCC: ~30 ng alkane (160pmol C16 alkane)= 3 nmol CO2

A recent Analytical  Chem. paper reports quantifying proteins in the 10 to 90 fmol/uL range, 2 uL injections, via isotope dilution: “Ultra Performance Liquid Chromatography Isotope Dilution Tandem Mass Spectrometry for the Absolute Quantification of Proteins and Peptides” Leah G. Luna, Tracie. L. Williams, James L. Pirkle, and John R. Barr* Anal. Chem., 2008, 80 (8), pp 2688–2693

For ICP ms, a recent report is looking at pg/g and fg/g levels of trace metals (20 mL sample sizes) and apparently the limit of detection tends to be contamination of the sample (very clean clean room needed). Analytica Chimica Acta  Volume 530, Issue 2, 14 February 2005, Pages 291-298
Analytical procedures for improved trace element detection limits in polar ice from Arctic Canada using ICP-SMS
Michael Krachlera, Corresponding Author Contact Information, E-mail The Corresponding Author, E-mail The Corresponding Author, James Zhenga, b, David Fisherb and William Shotyk

take care

gerry