Hi all-

Missed part where carbon fine, only n2 bad...hmmm

Then it might just be the mass spec capillary getting hung up in the open split intermittently-so some runs bad some not.  Also check water levels at beginning and end of each run, straight mode, no dilution-see if they spike with mass 30.

If you haven't, look for o2 in straight mode.  It should be small if reduction column is ok.

Good luck

Gerry

Are you trapping the co2?  Could that be clogging?  Just trying to think what the differences could be...