From: Stable Isotope Geochemistry [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of [log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, 09 July 2010 08:38
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Calculating the delta of the working gas

Greetings,
I assume this is an easy question but it seems my last math class was a long time ago.
Usually I don't care about the exact value of my CO2 ref gas on our gasbench system since everything is normalizied to reference materials with known values (and working gas cancels out). I just type in a value for the working gas in the isodat standard editor which will give a delta value close to the correct value.

I need to calculate the CO2 value of the working gas now and my idea was just to caluclate the things backwards. Assuming that my reference material (e.g. NBS19) will produce a CO2 with a known value it should be possible the calculate the delta value of the working gas etiher from the raw delta values or the ratios given in Isodat by treating the ref gas as the sample and the NBS 19 as the standard gas. However, sitting in front of Isodat and the equations it is not so obvious anymore...can anyone point me in the right direction?

regards,
Robert

--
Dr. Robert van Geldern
GeoZentrum Nordbayern / Applied Geosciences University of Erlangen-Nuremberg Schlossgarten 5

mailto:[log in to unmask]
www.gzn.uni-erlangen.de
fon: +49(0)9131-85-24780 (office)
fax: +49(0)9131-85-29294
Room: O 0.106 (office)

This email message is intended only for the use of the named recipient. Information contained in this email message and its attachments may be privileged, confidential and protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read, copy, use or disclose this communication to others. Also please notify the sender by replying to this message and then delete it from your system.