Thanks for the tips.  I managed to located a couple of leads in the source array that were touching and thus providing a lot more power to the trap than it was supposed to get.  This resulted in the high trap readings.  I think I have it all straightened out now!

Cheers,

Christine

From: Stable Isotope Geochemistry [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Tao Sun
Sent: Wednesday, July 14, 2010 12:16 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ISOGEOCHEM] High box and trap currents

Hi, Christine,

   We had similar ,but opposite symptoms couple weeks ago. We changed a new filament for our MAT253, but the sum of trap and box currents were far lower than the emission, e.g. 0.6mA, 0.4mA-->1.5mA. Days later, things got better that we can have trap+box =emission when we set emission lower than 1.8mA. However, that was under the condition that no sample gas got into the ionization housing. When we load gas in, trap+box do not equal emission! What we did was replacing this filament with old, but working one. Then everything turned back to normal. We request a return of that filament, however, we are still trying to do diagnosis on it. Maybe the positioning of the filament? some deformation of the filament shape? I'll keep you updated if we find out anything.
  Good luck.

Tao Sun

OASIC
Louisiana State University