Dear all,

The work for the programme of the next General Assembly of the EGU in 2011
(3-8 April, in Vienna, Austria) has been started again. Although no
call-for-programme has been lounched yet, I like to stimulate everybody
already to think about having an active role in organizing the programme of
the ŒIsotopes in Geosciences ­ Instrumentation and Applications¹ Programme
Group (IG).
I found that some subjects which would fit well into the isotope programme
were weakly or not at all represented during the last years. I think it will
improve the programme if we can fill these gaps and include those subjects
for the next General Assembly.
Subjects which I selected myself having potential to be included into the
programme are given below:

Radiogenic isotopes are badly represented in general.
-More specific, radiometric dating in geoscience is not or under-represented
(is perfect for co-organization with Geochemistry of the GMPV Programme
Group (PG)). Combination of radiogenic isotopes (as tool) and other tools
(eg trace element studies) is very welcome too.

Combination of radiogenic isotopes and stable isotopes in subjects, such as
planetary sciences, meteoritic science, or other extraterrestrial subjects
is very welcome, and preferably is co-organized with appropriate PG¹s
A specific subject which may have potential is the application of isotopic
tools in search for extraterrestrial life (combined with organic
chemistry??).

Specialized noble gas isotope studies (again preferably co-organized with
appropriate PG¹s)

Agronomy (evtl. Including soil) studies where isotopes are a prominent tool
are not really represented ­ preferably co-organizing with the Soil System
Sciences (SSS) and/or Biogeochemistry (BG) PG¹s.

Studies where stable isotope NMR techniques are used.

Sr/Sr stratigraphy, co-organized with Stratigraphy, Sedimentology &
Paleontology (SSP) PG. This can also be combined with other Œparameters¹

³Geotracing² by isotope markers or isotope patterns, eg. of animals or food
products. Can be co-organized with Biogeochemistry (BG) PG.

These are just some ideas, and of course other ideas are very welcome too.
Any proposal, if acceptable for the programme, has to be checked if it is
not yet existing in any PG already, or overlapping strongly with existing
programme parts.

How to proceed?
You can contact me (see below my address label) or wait for the
Œcall-for-programme¹, which will be released soon, and propose your
session(s) on the EGU web site ­ look for the ŒIsotopes in Geosciences ­
Instrumentation and Applications¹ (IG) in the Programme Group listing.
For questions, feel free to contact me.

Best regards,
Pier.

Delta Isotopes Consultancy

Dr. Pier A. de Groot
De Schans 47
3945 Ham (Oostham)
Belgium
Tel. +32 (0)11 72 77 66
e-mail: [log in to unmask]

Chair of the Programme Group ³Isotopes in Geosciences² [IG] and Secretary
for IG in the ³Geochemistry, Mineralogy, Petrology, Volcanology² [GMPV]
division of the European Geoscience Union (EGU)
EGU Home web-site: http://www.egu.eu/

Scientific Committee member of BASIS (Benelux Association of Stable Isotope
Scientists).
http://www.basis-online.eu/

Visit the Elsevier WEB-site about my ³Handbook of Stable Isotope Analytical
Techniques² Vol-II (published Nov. 17, 2008):
http://www.elsevierdirect.com/product.jsp?isbn=9780444511157
and Vol-I (was published Dec. 27, 2004) at:
http://www.elsevierdirect.com/product.jsp?isbn=9780444511140