Still there?

When faced with a similar situation, I've taken a series of pictures of the
band on another bird.

By piecing together the different pictures, I've been able to get a good
read on the numbers.

On a grosbeak, the sequence should look like:  X X X - X X X X X

(on other bird bands, there may be 4 digits in the prefix)

I submitted the report to the Bird Banding Lab at:

http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/bbl/homepage/call800.htm

The results have been very interesting.

Even a partial read can produce useable results. A friend got most of the
numbers on a banded Blue-winged Warbler that way. We were able to determine
when and where that bird had been banded.

Rich Guthrie

New Baltimore,

The Greene Mountain County,

New York