Laurie,

     Just so you aren't misled to think the bear only comes at night, last summer we had one visit at various daytimes more than 6 times during the summer.  It was lured by the smell of grain in the chicken coop, I believe.  I have quite a series of day-time pictures.    Remember the saying, "A fed bear is a dead bear."   Once accustomed to a feeding station, it may continue to frequent easy "fast food" sources.  Someone will find it offensive and guns may be used.

Be safe,

Pat Jaquith
Dummerston Conservation Commission

>>> Laurie Miner <[log in to unmask]> 07/16/10 10:59 PM >>>
Last night, three of our feeders were ruined, poles were bent, and we
apparently provided a nice meal for the local bear.

Not wanting a repeat, I went out tonight about 8:30 to bring in the
surviving feeders and who should I spot watching me intently?! Yes, our
nocturnal visitor. I have never seen a bear in the wild, and it was pretty
exciting. He seemed to be at a safe distance behind a tree, so I continued
the task at hand.

After watching me intently as I removed the feeders, he ambled into the
woods behind the house. So, beware all in the West Brattleboro area of
Greenleaf St, Country Hill and Green Meadow, keep your eyes open and
feeders in at night!

Laurie Miner
West Brattleboro