On 7/3/2010 7:22 PM, Marc Chrusch wrote:
> At 02:59 PM 7/3/2010, Skip King wrote:
>

>> ...one could probably make a case that the only new cooking
>> "technique" to be created in the last century or so is the microwave
>> oven.
>
> Sous vide?
> Molecular gastronomy techniques, in particular faux "caviar"?
I suppose you could make a case for it - but realistically, much of
molecular gastronomy - such as your faux caviar - rests on utilization
of ingredients such as Xanthan gum, which I would argue is a chemical,
and the addition of chemicals to the cooking process is long established
(salts and nitrates in meat curing, alum in pickling, etc.).  Much of
the rest of if relies essentially on refinement of pre-existing techniques.

Call it a new technique if you want.  Personally, I think it's a party
trick.