glad to hear you've moved past "hiking for checkmarks" and are now onto
"hiking for fun"

(flame shield up)

sounds like a real fun day to be out and about, and oh how I wish I could
have joined ya!

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 2:25 PM, Matthew Kulas <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Having finished working on the 116 4,000 footers in the Northeast last
> August, I am now working on another list, one that I've been eagerly
> anticipating for the last several years.  It is called simply, the "To-do
> List," and it currently occupies one side of a sheet from a yellow legal
> pad, though it is threatening to expand to a second page.  On it are the
> names mountains, notches, trails and locales, from all over the Northeast,
> that have struck my fancy over the years, since I first came down with my
> peak-bagging affliction.  Some of the goals include: Percy Peaks, the Adam's
> Slide Trail, Sawtooths 1 & 2, Whitewall Mountain, the Great Slide on Grace,
> Klondike Notch, completing the Triangle Trail, the Traveler Loop, Hawthorne
> Falls, and a Pemi back-pack.
>
> * * *
>
> At 10:30 p.m. on Saturday evening, Jeff S. returned my call, saying that he
> was game for a hike.  I threw out a couple of suggestions and asked if he
> had anything in mind.  It turned out that he did.  There is a cluster of
> 3,000 footers in the southeast end of the Presidential Range, that make up
> the southern end of the Montalban Ridge, including Mts. Crawford, Stairs,
> Resolution, and Parker.  All but Parker are just off the Davis Path, one of
> the items on my To-do List, so I was vaguely familiar with them and game.
>
> I pulled in late to the Davis Path trailhead, at 9:30 AM, on Sunday
> morning, Jeff already there and ready to hike.  First, we dropped my car
> down in Bartlett, at the trailhead for the Mt. Langdon Trail, then we headed
> back to the Davis Path.  Along the way, Jeff informed me not only were four
> 3,000 footers the objective today, but there was also a bushwhack to a NH
> 200 Highest peak that he hoped to do, too.  That sounded good to me.
>
> Sunday was sunny and warm, and with the Davis Path's steep initial climb
> out of Notchland, we were soon breaking a good sweat.  Shortly after gaining
> the ridge extending between Crawford and Hope, we reached the unmarked spur
> to Crawford's summit, which starts up a steep, open slab of rock.  The
> summit isn't far off of the Davis Path.  Ledgey, it is almost entirely open
> and it afford us astounding views of the Rockpile, the Dry River Wilderness,
> the Southern Presidentials, Crawford Notch, the Sandwich Range, and the
> Pemi--including mighty Carrigain, the Bonds, Guyot, the Twins, Zealand,
> Zeacliff, Hale, Willey, Nancy, Bemis, Lowell, and even far-off Lincoln.  It
> is quite simply one of the more stunning viewpoints in the East.
>
> Astounding as it was, we eventually had to move on, so we made our way up
> the Davis Path on towards Stairs Mountain, stopping along the way to visit
> the soon-to-be removed Resolution Shelter and top off our water from the
> small trickle that was Sleeper Brook.
>
> Stairs Mountain, so called be cause it's eastern ledges look like a giant's
> stairs, was off on another unmarked spur from the Davis Path.  Again, we
> [...]

"I'm a simple man, Hobbes."
"You?? Yesterday you wanted a nuclear powered car that could turn into a jet
with laser-guided heat-seeking missiles!"
"I'm a simple man with complex tastes."