From: Medical Libraries Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Sieving, Pamela (NIH/OD/ORS) [E]
Sent: Thursday, July 22, 2010 10:41 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: peculiar issue with PubMed

Just a brief addition to Michelle's helpful explanation:
Quotes do not force PubMed to search for the phrase unless it's a phrase in the 'phrase index.'
I don't begin to understand the process by which the PubMed folks decide when a phrase is ready to become a recognized phrase, but there it is--and that's why the advice to check the details box is so important.

Try this:  "search strategy"  :  this is a phrase, and you will see that the PubMed search engine finds the phrase in all fields.  However, "search possibilities" is not a phrase in the phrase index, and the details box tells you that it searched for each word, ANDing the two sets.

Several years ago, "tear film" was not yet in the phrase index.  "Tear" mapped to various MeSH terms including lacerations; at that time, "film" ended up in the movies.  That's been changed.  A year ago, one could retrieve the article titled "Use of handheld wireless technology for a home-based sickle cell pain management protocol" with a search for "sickle cell" but that too has been changed in the search function.

Pam

Pamela C. Sieving, MA, MS, AHIP
Biomedical Librarian/Informationist
National Institutes of Health Library