My understanding is there is a prebate, rebate and the option of putting income tax refunds against property taxes.  If they paid more than they should have last year for property taxes they get a rebate as part of the State payment plus the prebate. If they had income taxes withheld but didn’t owe state income taxes they have the option of putting the refund towards their property taxes as well.



From: Vermont Municipal Government Discussion Network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Town Clerk
Sent: Wednesday, August 11, 2010 3:54 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Education Rebates


Hi All!

            I know this question has been asked before, but for the life of me I can’t recall any of the answers that have been given.

Here’s the situation:  a property owner has a non taxable income, files an HS122 and gets an income sensitivity refund greater than his actual property tax, so, we send him a check for the difference.

            How is it possible for someone to get a “refund” greater than what they owe?  Does it seem right that some tax payers are not only supplementing the entire property tax of others, but also giving them extra?