There can be a few reasons. Perhaps the individual included some income tax refund money.  Maybe the relative assessed value of the property changed considerably from the previous year.  Was the town reappraised this year.  It's possible the parcel was over-assessed previously relative to other properties in town.  Maybe the effective tax rate changed considerably from the previous year.  The income sensitivity payment is a "look-back."  It uses the previous year's income, assessment and taxes.  You have to look at all those pieces.

Hope this helps.

Mary Jane Grace, Program Technician
Property Valuation and Review Division
Vermont Dept. of Taxes

From: Vermont Municipal Government Discussion Network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Town Clerk
Sent: Wednesday, August 11, 2010 3:54 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Education Rebates

Hi All!
            I know this question has been asked before, but for the life of me I can't recall any of the answers that have been given.
Here's the situation:  a property owner has a non taxable income, files an HS122 and gets an income sensitivity refund greater than his actual property tax, so, we send him a check for the difference.
            How is it possible for someone to get a "refund" greater than what they owe?  Does it seem right that some tax payers are not only supplementing the entire property tax of others, but also giving them extra?