Speaking as a lister, we list the property in the grand list with the life estate owners name and address.  In our town it is beneficial to them as for the residential tax savings.  Our advisors have said we may list it either to the "actual" owner of the property or to the owner of the life estate.
Just my two cents....
Diane

------- Original Message -------
From : Eden[mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent : 8/12/2010 9:45:17 AM
To : [log in to unmask]
Cc :
Subject : RE: Re: tax bill question

As our district advisors keep saying, "READ THE DEED."  Some Life Estates are revocable, some are not.  In the most common tax arrangements, the Grantor must be able to revoke in order to prevent actual title from passing until after death -- otherwise the deed creates a taxable event.  But sometimes a seller simply wants to retain some use ("... retains the use of said Camp during the month of August annually so long as he lives."   One size does not fit all.  These restrictions are a temporary impairment of the value of a property when not revokable.
B.