From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">St. Albans Town Assistant Clerk
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, August 12, 2010 9:25 AM
Subject: Re: Education Rebates

Also, mobile home owners who own the home but rent the land, get a renters rebate on top of the tax rebate, often getting more rebate than owed. these don't bother me so much as the general rule is that they are elderly on fixed incomes and need every break they can get. the example below must be they have no reportable income which makes the rebate much higher.

i feel this whole program/system is broken. i'm seeing very well off people with $500,000 homes, who own prominent businesses, getting taxed for $8000.00 to $10,000.00 and the state rebates all but 1-2 thousand of it. so the people who only bought a $160,000.00 house, with obviously less income.... being mindful of the high taxes a more expensive house is going to have, gets about 700.00 rebated.  so the person being the most financially responsible loses out, and ends up paying more taxes to the town than the one that owns the mansion!!  go figure.

Lisa  Assistant Town Clerk