I sent out an email on Wednesday afternoon after a resident came in to get replacement marriage and her children’s birth certificates. Her house had been robbed and these documents had been in a small safe that had been taken from a corner of her basement (under a table, behind stuff - hmmmmm).

After I heard from some of you, I decided to listen to the Golden Rule. I came into work and made the copies, enclosed a note and then ran down to the Post Office, so she would get them today.

The woman showed up mid-afternoon and had brought in the money for the certified copies as discussed yesterday; she had not picked up her mail. I explained that the documents were taken to the PO that morning so she would have them immediately and, since it was my decision I understood from other town clerks and the circumstances were so upsetting for her family, I had decided to make them a gift. The office was very busy (reappraisals went into Monday’s mail) and we joked about how she should check her mailbox for important documents before driving into town. She thanked me and left.  The door opened and she came back in, crying, and said she wanted to give me a hug. I knew right then that the decision of the gift was the right one and I thank you for helping me with it, even though, as decisions go, it was a pretty small one.

I thought I’d share this with you as I finish up a rigorous week in the office and head out for a working vacation as a camp cook on beautiful Lake Fairlee. It’s not a restful vacation, but it’s a change and my family looks forward to participating as volunteers at this end of summer camp for disadvantaged rural children. I’m so glad it worked out that the Primary Election date allowed me to still do Camp Exclamation Point.

Thanks again, as always, for helping with life’s perspective in the Town Clerk’s Office.

Heidi Racht

I’m going home to watch the meteor showers – a different perspective on life.