http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/cif-green/2010/aug/18/extreme-weather-climate-debate
 Why has extreme weather failed to heat up climate debate?

The world is experiencing the hottest weather on record but politicians have
failed to respond. They need a wake-up call
  Bill McKibben
guardian.co.uk <http://www.guardian.co.uk/>, Wednesday 18 August 2010 15.30
BST
Article history<http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/cif-green/2010/aug/18/extreme-weather-climate-debate#history-link-box>

We've had so much record heat around the world lately that the records
themselves are setting records: 17 nations have reached new temperature
highs<http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/aug/12/heatwave-record-temperatures-world>,
a new record for records in a year. Pakistan hit (129F) 54C, a new record
for all of Asia. Moscow had never hit 100F (38C) before; lately it's been a
rare day when the mercury settles lower.

Now scientists have confirmed what's been pretty obvious: the entire world
has just come through the warmest six months, the warmest year, and the
warmest decade on record. Following the hottest June
ever<http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2010/jul/16/june-2010-warmest-recorded>,
AccuWeather.com <http://www.accuweather.com/> yesterday said July was the
second hottest July recorded – and the warmest ever for land temperatures
alone.

Just in case those feel like abstractions, here's what they mean in
practice: because warmer air holds more water vapour than cold, deluge
increases<http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/aug/09/climate-change-flooding>.
Hence, Pakistan has seen the worst flooding in its
history<http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/gallery/2010/aug/13/pakistan-flooding>.
Because heat cuts grain yields, Russia has stopped exporting
grain<http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/aug/05/vladimir-putin-ban-grain-exports>,
spiking prices. Greenland? Guess what – heat melts
ice<http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/gallery/2010/aug/11/greenland-petermann-glacier>
.

In fact, the only thing that defies common sense this brutal summer is how
little political reaction there's been. The UN process continues its
post-Copenhagen
wander<http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/aug/09/un-climate-change-cancun-mexico>–
even many NGOs continue out of sheer habit to support old targets,
like
limiting the level of CO2 to 450 parts per million (ppm) and a 2C increase
in temperature. Why? If the current 390 ppm melts the Arctic, who would aim
for 450? In Washington, meanwhile, the Congress and White House have decided
there's no need for any kind of urgency: they let the tepid and tame climate
bill die<http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/jul/23/us-senate-climate-change-bill>without
even scheduling a vote.

So here's what we need: a movement. A really big one, all over the world.
Right now the energy companies are winning, and winning easily. Because
they're the most profitable business the world has ever seen, they have
enormous influence. And because all they need to do is delay, so far they've
barely even been bothered by environmentalists.

But this is no longer an environmental battle. As this summer demonstrates,
if you're concerned about development, climate
change<http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/climate-change>is issue
No 1 (how much development is going to go on in Pakistan, now that
its bridges are all gone?). If you're concerned about war and peace, climate
change is issue No 1 (when Russia stops sending grain to Egypt and Nigeria,
and when wheat prices start to rise, what do you think comes next?). If
you're concerned about the future, then climate change is issue No 1 –
because this summer is a tiny taste of what the future is all about. So far
we've barely raised the earth's temperature a degree, and that's caused all
that we've seen so far. But climatologists assure us there's four or five
degrees more by the century's
end<http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2009/dec/18/copenhagen-five-climate-scenarios>unless
we work with incredible speed to end the fossil fuel era.

It's not impossible to build a movement. Look at the great examples in the
UK, where anti-aviation-expansion group Plane Stupid has turned the tide on
Heathrow<http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/may/25/aviation-expansion-uk>(or
where climate campaign 10:10
has persuaded Tottenham Hotspur to go
green<http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2009/sep/01/10-10-spurs-delia-tate>).
Look at what we at 350.org managed to pull off last
October<http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2009/oct/23/350-protest>,
when 5,200 simultaneous demonstrations in 181
countries<http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/gallery/2009/oct/27/350-campaign-climate-change-protest>pushed
for a 350ppm carbon target. People everywhere can understand the
science – they're living it, more and more.

This autumn the big dates include 10 October, when environmental groups the
world over are collaborating on a Global Work
Party<http://www.350.org/invitation>,
designed not just to put up a lot of solar panels but also to send a strong
message to our leaders: We're getting to work, what about you?

But movements aren't just a series of events. They need to be ongoing,
swelling—they need to suggest through science and art the new world that is
possible. I'd be surprised if by this time next year civil disobedience was
not under way across the globe. By next summer, I hope, it's this new
movement that will be turning up the heat.

• Bill McKibben is a scholar in residence at Middlebury College, founder of
350.org <http://www.350.org/>, and author most recently of Earth: Making a
Life on a Tough New
Planet<http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/apr/23/bill-mckibben-rename-earth-eaarth>
.