Re: Barnacle Radio/ Non science related post number 1. All:

Michael posted the following two paragraphs on August 16, 2010:

“I remember when I first came on this list too, about 3-4 years ago or whatever it was (maybe longer?) This list was largely dominated by posts on 9/11 conspiracy theories and AIDS denialism, and a battle had to be fought to put that in its place. I was kicked off the list briefly during that time for the strong stance I took, and Phil himself quit the list in protest at that purely political move by the then moderator.

“I remember how appalled I was that the once influential Science for the People had degenerated into a listserve that so regularly featured such nonsense. Those days are largely over, and as I said before, the list is what its members make of it. Nobody is stopping a larger number of list members, including its women members, from participating and shaping the nature of this list. If they did, then the posts of allegedly "abrasive" list members would take their proper proportion and percentage of the total. And if people were not attacked personally for their political views, that would help a lot too.

MB”

Please decide for yourselves if Michael took pride in cleaning up this SftP list when he wrote “a battle had to be fought to put that in its place” where “that” means “a list was largely dominated by posts on 9/11 conspiracy theories and AIDS denialism.”   I don’t think that is true actually. Michael fought this battle largely on his own and resulted in people leaving this list, including at least one whom I remember was not a conspiracy theorist or AIDS denialist.  Their departure is what I meant by “driving people of the list.”

Is what I wrote “driving people off the list” slander?  A misrepresentation?  True?

Finally, about a week or so ago Michael offered to send me the email in which he says I called for his expulsion from the list.  I asked him for a copy of that email in a off-list email.  He never sent it.  I do not remember writing that I called for his expulsion, but my memory is not perfect.

In any case, I have not and am not calling for his expulsion now, so the baseless fear he expresses below about my gather evidence is just that.   I am simply calling on him to stop sending irrelevant emails.  I get no science edification from what Marc Cooper writes.  If people want such emails from Michael, he can send privately.

So, I will note Michael’s irrelevant emails by numbering them.  Quite polite, non combative, commentary I think.  Just numbers.  1, 2 3, etc.

Larry