---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: TomDispatch <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 7:26 AM
Subject: Tomgram: Bill McKibben, A Wilted Senate on a Heating Planet
To: [log in to unmask]

  If you're having trouble viewing this email, you may see it
online<http://e2ma.net/map/view=CampaignPublic/id=25612.6749890565/rid=713bc0dd83a5e3a6dc3a236d5eded8cc>
.
  Share This:
<http://social.e2ma.net/next/e/25612/eedb7bf91a8f2c8d9efce6a027cca932/6749890565/?mrid=713bc0dd83a5e3a6dc3a236d5eded8cc>
    [image: TomDispatch.com: A Regular Antidote to the Mainstream
Media]<http://e2ma.net/go/6749890565/208270340/214756202/25612/goto:http://www.tomdispatch.com>
     August
4, 2010
Tomgram: Bill McKibben, A Wilted Senate on a Heating
Planet<http://e2ma.net/go/6749890565/208270340/214756203/25612/goto:http://www.tomdispatch.com/post/175281/tomgram:_bill_mckibben,_a_wilted_senate_on_a_heating_planet/>

Where are they now?  Last winter, when record snowstorms brought life in the
northeast corridor to a halt, Virginia Republicans
launched<http://e2ma.net/go/6749890565/208270340/214756204/25612/goto:http://thinkprogress.org/2010/02/09/inhofe-family-gore-mockery/>
web ad, “12 inches of global warming,” and the family of Oklahoma senator
and global warming “skeptic” Jim Inhofe built an igloo on the national mall,
labeling it “Al Gore’s new home.”  Now, as Xtreme weather has been setting
new records for pure swelter along that same corridor (and  pure
drench<http://e2ma.net/go/6749890565/208270340/214756205/25612/goto:http://www.wcsh6.com/news/national/story.aspx?storyid=121773&catid=45>
in
the Midwest), who’s building a sweat lodge on the Mall labeled “Jim Inhofe’s
new home”?  Where are the mocking Democratic web ads?  Has the president
said a word?  In fact, amid temperatures that hit
105<http://e2ma.net/go/6749890565/208270340/214756206/25612/goto:http://hamptonroads.com/2010/07/weather-expect-another-hot-day>
degrees
and above in the East, has anyone said a word?  Do you realize just how rare
are the stories in major papers or on the TV news that even suggest heavily
covered weird weather in our nation and elsewhere could in any way be linked
to global warming in a year that may break world warmth records?

Sweltering New York --
103<http://e2ma.net/go/6749890565/208270340/214756207/25612/goto:http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/07/nyregion/07heat.html>
in
the shade and getting hotter, it seemed -- with its aging power
infrastructure teetering at the edge of serial blackout, was the drumroll
for the start of my 66th year on this planet.  Now, at a moment when you can
hardly check out the news and not notice a weather anomaly that looks
curiously like  the new
norm<http://e2ma.net/go/6749890565/208270340/214756208/25612/goto:http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=average-global-temperature-rise-creates-new-normal>
--
heat of a sort  Moscow has never
seen<http://e2ma.net/go/6749890565/208270340/214756209/25612/goto:http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/30/world/europe/30moscow.html>,
drenching monsoon rains and floods, killing more than a thousand people,
that are a  singular
first<http://e2ma.net/go/6749890565/208270340/214756210/25612/goto:http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/02/world/asia/02pstan.html>
in
Pakistan -- the mainstream media has largely left global warming in a ditch
somewhere, especially when it comes to weather reporting.  Writers at
*Scientific
American* may think that global warming is, by now,
“undeniable,”<http://e2ma.net/go/6749890565/208270340/214756211/25612/goto:http://www.scientificamerican.com/podcast/episode.cfm?id=global-warming-is-undeniable-10-08-01>
but
the U.S. Senate, undoubtedly aware not only of the temperature outside but
of the degree of American media (and public) denial about it, has reached
other conclusions entirely.

Bill McKibben,  TomDispatch
regular<http://e2ma.net/go/6749890565/208270340/214756212/25612/goto:http://www.tomdispatch.com/archive/175257/bill_mckibben_if_there_was_ever_a_moment_to_seize>
and
author of the invaluable new book, * Eaarth: Making a Life on a Tough New
Planet<http://e2ma.net/go/6749890565/208270340/214756213/25612/goto:http://www.amazon.com/dp/0805090568/ref=nosim/?tag=tomdispatch-20>
*, assesses our national moment in the heat and just how wilted we’ve seemed
to be.  (And while you're at it, catch him in Timothy MacBain's latest
TomCast audio interview discussing why the public needs to lead the fight
against global warming by clicking
here<http://e2ma.net/go/6749890565/208270340/214756214/25612/goto:http://tomdispatch.blogspot.com/2010/08/pressure-cooking.html>
or,
to download it to your iPod,
here<http://e2ma.net/go/6749890565/208270340/214756215/25612/goto:http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=j0SS4Al/iVI&subid=&offerid=146261.1&type=10&tmpid=5573&RD_PARM1=http%3A%2F%2Fitunes.apple.com%2Fus%2Fpodcast%2Ftomcast-from-tomdispatch-com%2Fid357095817>
.)  *Tom*

*We’re Hot as Hell and We’re Not Going to Take It Any More
Three Steps to Establish a Politics of Global Warming*
By Bill McKibben<http://e2ma.net/go/6749890565/208270340/214756216/25612/goto:http://www.tomdispatch.com/authors/billmckibben>

*  According<http://e2ma.net/go/6749890565/208270340/214756217/25612/goto:http://www.democracynow.org/2010/7/29/headlines/2000_2009_marked_warmest_decade_on_record>
the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, the planet has just
come through the warmest decade, the warmest 12 months, the warmest six
months, and the warmest April, May, and June on record.

* A “staggering” new
study<http://e2ma.net/go/6749890565/208270340/214756218/25612/goto:http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=phytoplankton-population>
from
Canadian researchers has shown that warmer seawater has reduced
phytoplankton, the base of the marine food chain, by 40% since 1950.

*  Nine nations<http://e2ma.net/go/6749890565/208270340/214756219/25612/goto:http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=1546>
have
so far set their all-time temperature records in 2010, including Russia (111
degrees), Niger (118), Sudan (121), Saudi Arabia and Iraq (126 apiece), and
Pakistan, which also set the  new all-time Asia
record<http://e2ma.net/go/6749890565/208270340/214756220/25612/goto:http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=1498&tstamp=>
in
May: a hair under 130 degrees. I can turn my oven to 130 degrees.

* And then, in late July, the U.S. Senate decided to do exactly nothing
about climate change. They didn’t do less than they could have -- they did *
nothing*, preserving a perfect two-decade bipartisan record of no action.
Senate majority leader Harry Reid decided not even to schedule a vote on
legislation that would have capped carbon emissions.

 Click here to read more of this
dispatch.<http://e2ma.net/go/6749890565/208270340/214756221/25612/goto:http://www.tomdispatch.com/post/175281/tomgram:_bill_mckibben,_a_wilted_senate_on_a_heating_planet/>

 *Visit our sister sites:*

[image: The Nation
Institute]<http://e2ma.net/go/6749890565/208270340/214756222/25612/goto:http://www.nationinstitute.org>
[image: Nation Books]<http://e2ma.net/go/6749890565/208270340/214756223/25612/goto:http://www.nationbooks.org>
[image: The Investigative
Fund]<http://e2ma.net/go/6749890565/208270340/214756224/25612/goto:http://www.nationinstitute.org/ifunds>

Recent Posts
3 days ago...
*Tomgram: Ann Jones, In Bed With the U.S.
Army*<http://e2ma.net/go/6749890565/208270340/214756225/25612/goto:http://www.tomdispatch.com/blog/175280/tomgram:_ann_jones,_in_bed_with_the_u.s._army__/>

6 days ago...
*Tomgram: Andrew Bacevich, Giving Up On Victory, Not
War*<http://e2ma.net/go/6749890565/208270340/214756226/25612/goto:http://www.tomdispatch.com/post/175278/tomgram:_andrew_bacevich,_giving_up_on_victory,_not_war__/>

1 week ago...
*Tomgram: Engelhardt, Clueless in Afghanistan -- and
Washington*<http://e2ma.net/go/6749890565/208270340/214756227/25612/goto:http://www.tomdispatch.com/blog/175277/tomgram:_engelhardt,_clueless_in_afghanistan_--_and_washington__/>

1 week ago...
*Tomgram: William Astore, Wars Don't Make
Heroes*<http://e2ma.net/go/6749890565/208270340/214756228/25612/goto:http://www.tomdispatch.com/blog/175276/tomgram:_william_astore,_wars_don>

Recent Highlights
2 weeks ago...
*Tomgram: William Astore, Wars Don't Make
Heroes*<http://e2ma.net/go/6749890565/208270340/214756229/25612/goto:http://www.tomdispatch.com/blog/175276/tomgram:_william_astore,_wars_don>

3 weeks ago...
*Tomgram: Engelhardt, The Petraeus
Syndrome*<http://e2ma.net/go/6749890565/208270340/214756230/25612/goto:http://www.tomdispatch.com/blog/175272/tomgram:_engelhardt,_the_petraeus_syndrome>

       Consider supporting TomDispatch by making a donation. Click here.
<http://e2ma.net/go/6749890565/208270340/214756231/25612/goto:https://secure.groundspring.org/dn/index.php?aid=27654>
  116 East 16th Street 8th Floor | New York, NY 10003 US

Got this as a forward? *Sign
up*<http://e2ma.net/map/view=Join/signupId=43308/mailingId=208270340/acctId=25612>to
receive our future emails.

[image: Network for Good]