I wanted to follow up on this comment by Charlie, which, as I said
yesterday, came at an odd moment--when I had posted an article that I think
dealt with a serious subject. Perhaps because mart responded to it (also in
a serious vein, I think) it reminded Charlie of less interesting repartee
between mart, me, and others, and he chose this moment to comment on it.

I think that list members should accept that I will continue to say what I
think on this list, mart will continue to express himself in his inimitable
way, Robert will continue his campaign against every gene in sight, etc. But
this list is what the members make of it, and in fact a lot of the posts,
especially from Phil (despite my disagreements with him on many things, his
posts are the backbone of the list) and even me who often posts articles
without comment, are very useful and relevant. There is nothing to stop
Charlie, a hero of the science for the people movement, from posting
material of interest including about the struggles he is involved in, and
yet we never hear from Charlie except very occasionally to complain about
what others are posting; likewise from Carrol, who is just an old sourpuss
anyway and unlikely to contribute anything useful it seems. Likewise from
others who would have much to say, like Larry, and even the great majority
of Herb's posts mainly consist of complaining about what I say on the list,
which again is unfortunate as Herb is one of the most sensible and eloquent
presences here.

Nearly all of the initial posts on this list come from me, Phil, Sam,
Robert, and a couple of others (I'm not counting mart because he mostly
responds to what others say.) Perhaps most list members just want a quiet
life and just want to read articles or be kept informed thanks to the
material posted by us few, but if so then it is inevitable that those who
want to express their personal views here, even when they are "provocative"
or annoying to many, will dominate. Again, I have no intention of stopping
saying exactly what I think here; but I don't want to be one of the very few
doing that, and the list would be much more interesting if more people would
participate and take initiative.

MB

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 1:35 AM, Charles Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> What I see on this list from mart and from Michael (B) is an unending
> stream of very personal babble. I don't want to deny them their necessary
> outlets, but I must ask, Why do I bother to read (any of) it?
>
> Charlie
>
> mart wrote:
>
>> if one googles 'chris knight' (in wikipedia) he is the founder of a
>> radical anthropology group (and i think also lost his academic position in
>> the uk for some comments and role he had in g20 protests in the UK).  he
>> also has a take on the evolutuion of language which is basically a big
>> critique of chomsky (including chomsky's article with hauser in science).  i
>> find it much more convincing than chomsky's approach (which seems all
>> dressed up in hype with actual little rigor   much less reference to
>> empirical data).  there free journal online has an interview wuith chomsky
>> though i just skimmed it---and they go through their skepticism.
>>   s bowles (once a 'radical economist') and gintis also have gone through
>> this kind of stuff.

Web:    michaelbalter.com