August 24, 2010

/From:// /    Daniel Mark Fogel

/To: // /       University of Vermont Campus
Community

/Re://  /       *Provost Search Fall 2010*

        In these challenging economic times, we must continue to build
        academic quality together in order to ensure the long-term
        success of the University. No single position is more important
        for such an undertaking than that of the Provost and Senior Vice
        President, UVM's chief academic and chief operating officer.
        Professor of Economics Jane Knodell has served as Interim in
        that critical role for nearly fourteen months. It is now time
        for us to identify a regular appointee.

        After extensive consultation, I have determined that a Provost
        and Senior Vice President will be selected through an internal
        search. My conversations since the end of the spring semester
        with the Board of Trustees and with the leadership of campus
        governance groups have yielded a consensus that an internal
        search is preferable to a national search for several reasons.

        Perhaps the most compelling reason relates to the key academic
        initiatives that are well under way, including the
        transdisciplinary initiatives, general education, the first-year
        experience, the continuing development of our residential
        learning communities, the strengthening of academic program
        review, and new programs to increase UVM's proportion of
        international students. Placing these efforts in abeyance for
        the year or more required for a national search would likely
        stall our progress as an institution: we cannot afford to place
        at risk the continuing enhancement of academic quality at UVM
        and our very sustainability.

        Additionally, internal candidates can be expected to have
        already developed a thorough understanding of our culture, our
        fiscal realities and imperatives, our governance and
        decision-making processes, and our deans and faculty. An
        external appointee is likely to spend minimally a year engaged
        in an orientation process, with uncertain results. Again, I
        strongly believe it is vital that we maintain and advance our
        position in the highly volatile and competitive higher education
        landscape.

        Accordingly, I am initiating the process prescribed in the/
        University Manual
        <http://www.uvm.edu/%7Efacrsrcs/University%20Manual.pdf>,
        /sections 202.2.2 and 202.3.3, including asking the Colleges and
        Schools to launch the process by which the faculty selects a
        panel that in turn elects four of its members to serve on the
        search committee. In keeping with the guidelines set forth in
        the University Manual, I will appoint additional faculty members
        to the committee as well as staff members and students. I have
        asked Staff Council, the Student Government Association, and the
        Graduate Student Senate to submit to me any suggestions those
        bodies may have for appointments to the committee (by rule, two
        members will be appointed from the SGA list of nominees). In
        addition, any member of the faculty, the staff, or the student
        body may self-nominate for service on the search committee. If
        you are interested, please send your name to Dr. Gary Derr,
        Chief of Staff ([log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>),
        by September 14, 2010.

        It is important that the process move ahead with dispatch and
        that it be completed no later than the end of this fall
        semester. I am confident we will find an outstanding individual
        to take up this exciting opportunity for leadership at UVM.

        cc:        Board of Trustees
                    Alumni Association Leadership

--
Daniel Mark Fogel, President
University of Vermont

UVM is subject to the Vermont Public Records Act and communications to and from this email address, including attachments,
are subject to disclosure unless exempted under the Act or otherwise applicable law.