Today was my first of the season dedicated to shorebirds.

First stop (0838-0854): Mendon Beaver Pond on Rte. 4 in Mendon.  I
normally wouldn't give the pond much attention, but driving by I
noticed the water level was low exposing some mud shoreline and the
possibility of shorebirds which proved to be the case.  A River Otter
was also observed at close range cruising in what water remained in
the pond and successfully catching a fish which it ate on the mud
flat.

Wood Duck  6
Mallard  26
Green-winged Teal  1
Great Blue Heron  1
Killdeer  1
Solitary Sandpiper  6
Spotted Sandpiper  1
Belted Kingfisher  1

Second stop (1045-1100): Cornwall, Moonlit Alpaca Farm, sitting atop
several of the rolled bales of hay in the field next to the farm:

American Kestrel  7
Merlin  1

Third stop (1120-1330): Addison, Dead Creek WMA - Brilyea Access:

Canada Goose  65+/-
Double-crested Cormorant  1
Great Blue Heron  6
Great Egret  2
Bald Eagle  1 imm.
Killdeer  7
Solitary Sandpiper  1
Least Sandpiper  15
Eastern Wood-Pewee  1
Empid - Alder/Willow?  1
Eastern Kingbird  5
Blue Jay  2
American Crow  6
Common Raven  1
Black-capped Chickadee  1
American Robin  3
Gray Catbird  1
Song Sparrow  1
American Goldfinch  11

Also at Brilyea, what I am almost certain was a Giant Swallowtail
(woods edge on barred field road at cul-de-sac)...evidently larger
than any of the swallowtails typically encountered in VT.  The
"triangular" formed by the yellow bands on the upper surface of the
wings was striking.  Wish I had my camera on me.  Although a southern
species sometimes straying as far north as southern New England, might
the warm southern winds pushed this one into VT?

Fourth stop (1330-1430): Addison, Dead Creek WMA Access on Route 17:

Great Blue Heron  2
Solitary Sandpiper  2
Least Sandpiper  8
Wilson's Snipe  2
Ring-billed Gull  2

Fifth stop (1458-1510): Addison, Lake Champlain from Tri-Town Water
Treatment Facility:  No activity other than a few Ring-billed Gulls
and a flyover Tree Swallow.

Sixth stop (1528-1640): Addison, Farrell Access:

Mallard  22
Blue-winged Teal  4-6 mixed in with Green-winged Teal
Green-winged Teal  one group of 100-150 individuals
Great Blue Heron  4
Great Egret  1
Turkey Vulture  1
Osprey  1
Bald Eagle  1 imm.
Northern Harrier  1 adult male
Peregrine Falcon  1 adult repeatly buzzed the "peeps"
Black-bellied Plover  1
Greater Yellowlegs  3
Spotted Sandpiper  5
"Peeps"  unidentified - small groups largely concealed in distant
shrub stubble; most were likely Least Sandpipers.  Many shorebirds
barely visible from access on exposed shoreline far to the south
Ring-billed Gulls  23+
American Crow  1
Tree Swallow  X
Barn Swallow  X  perhaps other swallow species were present also but
too distant to id.
Black-capped Chickadee  1
American Goldfinch  2

--