I see Don Clark beat me to it, but this evening on my way home from
work (6:00-6:30) in North Springfield 4 nighthawks were seen flying
southeastward more or less following the Black River downstream.  A
little further up Route 106 near the Springfield-Weathersfield
townline 3 more were seen flying east over the highway.  But the
mother lode was over 106 near the Cavendish-Reading townline when a
large "kettle" was spotted high overhead.  In constant motion and
spiralling flight getting an accuate count was impossible, but I
estimate the flock was 60-80 birds at least.  This is a good time to
get in practice for the Broad-winged Hawk exodus sooner than we think.

--
Kenneth Cox
South Reading, VT