After work I noticed exposed mudflats in the lower Black River just up
from the Connecticut River, so I checked out Herrick's Cove.  The
water level was down by nearly 2' with alot of prime habitat open to
migrating shorebirds, although I saw none during my brief visit
(1700-1730 hr).  It looked like the water had just been lowered.
Crows, Great Blue Herons (2), an American Bittern and Great Egrets (2)
working over the flats probably feeding on stranded fish, etc.  The
cove may be worth checking out tomorrow for shorebirds.  Who knows how
long these conditions will last...hours or a day or so.

Driving through Springfield shortly before 1800 hr a flock of about 20
nighthawks was spotted flying east over Riverside Middle School

--
Kenneth Cox
South Reading, VT