Bird activity this morning (0818-1115) was pretty decent, despite a
very poor showing of waterfowl, waders and not one shorebird.   The
water level of the Connecticut River and the Cove are back up to
"normal" for this season.  I have no idea how long the low water
conditions and exposed mudflats I observed and reported Wednesday
lasted.  Apparently not long as the river was back up by the next day
according to Roy Pilcher's report (8/26).  Sorry Roy for my enticing
you over to this side of the state with the hope of low water and
shorebirds, but with a hydropower regulated river one never knows.
Song bird activity was good this morning: 33 species and relatively
high numbers of some, notably Gray Catbirds.  Black cherry fruit seems
to be the attractant, so I recommend checking out the tree canopies
well.  Around 1100 hr the picnicing crowd began showing up in numbers
to take advantage of a wonderful late summer day, so I called it quits
and headed home to do some house painting. (:<

Canada Goose 15
Wood Duck  2
Great Blue heron 2
Great Egret 2
Ruby-throated Hummingbird 1
Belted Kingfisher 1
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker 1
Eastern Wood-Pewee 1
Eastern Phoebe 5
Blue-headed Vireo 1
Warbling Vireo 1 still singing
Red-eyed Vireo 7
Blue Jay 16
American Crow 6
Black-capped Chickadee 15
White-breasted Nuthatch 3
House Wren 1
Veery 1
Gray Catbird 21
Cedar Waxwing 4 way down from other recent visits; perhaps too few
insects in flight this morning for them to "flycatch"
Yellow Warbler 1
Magnolia Warbler 2
Yellow-rumped Warbler 7+
Black-throated Green Warbler 1