I just took a walk on Mobbs Hill in Jericho (beautiful trails and
often very birdy, though not so much at this time of day). I was
surprised and delighted to hear a bobwhite calling repeatedly. After
a bit of bushwhacking, I tracked it down. It was a gorgeous male,
standing on the top of a big stone in the back of a neighboring yard.

At least one bobwhite was seen around Jericho for several weeks back
in 2007. I wonder if there's actually a breeding population nearby,
or if the Essex Center game farm mentioned then is still losing an
occasional bird.

Maeve Kim
Jericho Center