Greetings, VT Birders:

First, some news. The Little Blue Heron in Cabot had not been seen since
Monday, August, 9, until presumably the same bird was reported
yesterday, August 14, at a pond not too far away on 1001 Last Road in
Cabot. It was not there this morning. But the homeowner said it would be
OK for birders to come by for a visit in the event it returns. Iíll
update accordingly.

Next, on VTBIRDís ďcommercialĒ policies. Full disclosure: Iím a
professional guide and photographer (among many other things that
contribute to being a proud, impoverished naturalist and writer).
Indeed, I started all this by asking the saintly Ernie Buford about the
policy on promoting private enterprise on VTBIRD. I have not advertised
on VTBIRD, except perhaps second-hand promotion from occasional posts
about flying things (and my email signature, of course). Iíve enjoyed
all your opinions about this subject. Iíll try to be brief with my own:

1) I welcome all news about what people see out there and believe VTBIRD
should accommodate reports of rare and ordinary birds alike (with due
restraint on the ordinary).

2) Non-profit conservation organizations struggle enough these days; so,
yes, letís allow them to post any bird or birding topics here.

3) I had been opposed to posts by private enterprise, but Iíve changed
my mind on this. If itís about birds, and doesnít get out of hand, why
not? I myself have no need to promote my trips or photography workshops
on VTBIRD. But, as Ernie said, in order ďto strike a balance,Ē perhaps
occasional, judicious posts -- directing folks to a web page, for
example, and discouraging follow-up discussion -- may be appropriate
from entrepreneurs of my ilk. Iíll, of course, abide by the will of the
birding masses.

Finally, with shorebirds gathering at Dead Creek Wildlife Management
Area in Addison (and as a reward for reading this far), I've posted to
my blog, The Daily Wing, some FREE tips on fall shorebird identification:

http://www.dailywing.net/2010/08/15/solving-sandpipers-pondering-plovers/

Best,
Bryan Pfeiffer

Vermont Bird Tours