My two cents worth, I agree with Byran on this entirely.  I'm not even
sure why there should be an objection to the occasional notice of
for-profit products, events, Web sites, etc., as long as they're clearly
identified as such.  There's surely nothing dishonorable about making a
living by providing products and services the birding community wants.

I subscribe to birding magazines for the ads, as well as the editorial
content.  I do occasionally spend money on birding-related things and
it's helpful to know what's out there.

Obviously, we wouldn't ever want the list to be overwhelmed with this
type of stuff, but it's hard to imagine that happening to our rather
obscure little corner of the birding world.  A limit on repeat postings
or an overall limit of X number of posts containing commercial
information or links per month or something would be one alternative--
if Ernie was willing to take on that extra monitoring task.

If there isn't overwhelming objection to it, I wonder if it would make
sense to have a time-limited experiment and see what happens.  If it
showed signs of getting out of hand, we could go back to the original ban.

But either way, I'm cool with whatever Ernie decides to do.  This list
provides me with all sorts of information I otherwise wouldn't have, and
I'm profoundly grateful for it.

Jane
Shoreham