You know its almost fall when pipits appear. Im pretty confident
that I watched two this morning at Shelburne Farms  although its
early for this species to be passing through Vermont. The birds were
in with gulls, crows, rock pigeons and some unidentified sparrows in
a mowed, raked, but not yet harvested field. I got good looks at both
birds and an excellent look (bare eyes and through binoculars) at one
when it left the field and flew to a short stump right next to the
road. (There might have been more than two  I was hearing much more
pip-pip-pipping than could be accounted for by the birds I could see
- but the drifts of mown hay made very good barriers.)

Other sightings:

huge airborne flocks of starlings  maybe more than 300 in all

large numbers of Canada Geese and Ring-Billed Gulls (in separate
groups) relaxing on lawns, fields and the breakwater - Almost every
one of the Ring-Billed Gulls was in adult plumage (I saw only three
juveniles). There was only one Herring Gull with them; I think it was
a second year bird.

Canada Goose     122

Mallard     5

Turkey Vulture     1