To:  New York Times -- Novelties
Re:  Article:  Warning to Birds: All-Glass Buildings Ahead

I read your article on new developments in glass to help birds avoid collisions with buildings.  (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/29/business/29novel.html?_r=1&ref=global-home)  Thank you for reporting this hopeful bit of news.

I would like to respectfully suggest, however, that the article might have been made more impactful by letting readers understand the scope of this problem.

According to a US Fish and Wildlife release (see link below), between 97 and 976 million birds are killed each year in building strikes.   As you might imagine, that kind of loss makes sustaining populations of many bird species precarious.  The higher number represents nearly 5% of the entire North American breeding bird population.  If we were to remove 5% per year in perpetuity of any species on earth, the impact would be devastating.

Here's a huge man-made problem, and an apparent solution in hand.  That's cause for support for its implementation, and celebration of the biologic and moral result.  Thanks again for giving it "ink".

www.fws.gov/birds/mortality-fact-sheet.pdf