It was also the fact that there used to be market hunting which led to wholesale slaughter.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Karen Willard<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
  To: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
  Sent: Monday, August 30, 2010 10:45 AM
  Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] Do turkey hunters read VTBIRD?

  I apologize for my misguided attempt to put things in perspective. Upon reading my last post it does sound rude. All to often, the topic of hunting has become as polarizing as our political system.

  I did not intent to lay blame on contemporary hunters for the past loss of the wild turkey in Vermont. If anything, it was the lack of knowledge about population dynamics. Of course now we have regulations and pop. models to hopefully limit such declines. Looking at a basic population model which assumes a constant rate of growth, one would predict that high mortality due to hunting over a long period of time becomes an additive ( in addition to weather, food supply, etc.) source of mortality as opposed to compensatory. This model is used for deer populations but maybe it can also be applied to turkey in some form or another. At least we have come a long way in our attempts to understand population dynamics and we can enjoy consumptive use of natural resources.