Not to belabor the point, but with all the recent posts about the Dead Creek area, bird watchers should know that the Dead Creek Waterfowl Area was purchased (and is largely run) with funds from the Federal Migratory Bird Stamp (aka the "Duck Stamp"), and the Vermont Waterfowl stamp.

Thanks hunters, for giving us such a rich area to pursue or bird watching passion .

Bruce Flewelling

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kent McFarland" < kmcfarland @ VTECOSTUDIES .ORG>
To: VTBIRD @LIST. UVM . EDU
Sent: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 6:39:51 AM
Subject: Re: [ VTBIRD ] Do turkey hunters read VTBIRD ?

I think Bruce brings up an important point here. Hunting and fishing license
and waterfowl stamps have paid for an enormous amount of conservation.
Everything from research to management to outright buying and restoring
lands. With the latest numbers showing wildlife watching out pacing hunting
and fishing in Vermont by quite a bit over the last decade (see the USFWS
surveys -
http :// wsfrprograms . fws .gov/ Subpages / NationalSurvey /National_Survey. htm ),
what are we as bird watcher's doing? Our natural heritage and nongame
programs in the state wildlife departments struggle for funding, some to
just stay open. I am sure many of us donate to nonprofits and volunteer to
do a lot for wildlife, but I think we are coming up short. Sure, we have a
conservation license plate we can buy and we could check off on our tax form
to give to the nongame program, but I wonder how many of us do? Perhaps it
is time we had a bird watching stamp?
Kent