From: Scott Sainsbury <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Sun, August 29, 2010 6:36:27 PM
Subject: [VTBIRD] Warning to Birds: All-Glass Buildings Ahead

To:  New York Times -- Novelties
Re:  Article:  Warning to Birds: All-Glass Buildings Ahead

I read your article on new developments in glass to help birds avoid collisions
with buildings.
(http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/29/business/29novel.html?_r=1&ref=global-home)
Thank you for reporting this hopeful bit of news.

I would like to respectfully suggest, however, that the article might have been
made more impactful by letting readers understand the scope of this problem.

According to a US Fish and Wildlife release (see link below), between 97 and 976
million birds are killed each year in building strikes.  As you might imagine,
that kind of loss makes sustaining populations of many bird species precarious.
The higher number represents nearly 5% of the entire North American breeding
bird population.  If we were to remove 5% per year in perpetuity of any species
on earth, the impact would be devastating.

Here's a huge man-made problem, and an apparent solution in hand.  That's cause
for support for its implementation, and celebration of the biologic and moral
result.  Thanks again for giving it "ink".

www.fws.gov/birds/mortality-fact-sheet.pdf