I don't think a protected habitat would only support game species. Other, non-game species would use it too, as long as it was favorable to them.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: David/Dana Hirth<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
  To: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
  Sent: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 5:24 PM
  Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] Do turkey hunters read VTBIRD?

    Until such time as a significant source of funds ear-marked
  specifically for non-game species (other than rare and endangered
  species) comes along, we bird watchers who appreciate the value of state
  WMA's and refuges could all go out and by a duck stamp and do it each
  year. Then we will have made the same contribution as hunters (minus the
  federal tax on guns and ammunition).

  Dave Hirth