From: "Kent McFarland" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, August 5, 2010 8:34:19 AM
Subject: [VTBIRD] Need Help with Vermont eBird

Hi Birders,
I am the coordinator for Vermont eBird. Thankfully, the use of the
database has grown exponentially. We are getting great data and
everyone I think really likes the tool. Because of its popularity, I
am now unable to manage the site completely alone in a timely manner.
Many might not know, but there are 5 regional filters in eBird. They
are based on biophysical regions and county lines. So, when you put in
a checklist for a region in Vermont, a filter specifically for that
region will examine your data for any high numbers or rare or
out-of-season species. For example, a Boreal Chickadee in the NE
Kingdom will not get flagged, but it will in Burlington. Each flagged
record has to be checked by me and if it requires a rare species
documentation form for the Vermont Bird Record Committee, I request
that the observer fill it out. I defer all decisions on these birds to
the committee before making them verified in eBird, unless it is
obvious with and obvious photo or something. I adjust the filters as
more and more data comes in. So, for example, lets say I have Mallard
set at 25 individuals in Sept. and I am regularly getting reports of
45, I may change the filter to say 50. All of this is fairly easy to
do on a special web page. Finally, I also manage all the birding
hotspots in the state and as many of you know, I am WAY behind on this
too! On top of all this, I also take care of Hispaniola eBird on the
Caribbean eBird site. Yikes!

SO HERE IS THE QUESTION TO ALL OF YOU! I need regional reviewers for
Vermont eBird to lesson my load and help speed things up. I just can't
keep up now with the volume. A regional reviewer should be highly
competent birder, know their region well, comfortable with computers
and have high speed internet access, and have a few hours a week to
devote to a computer screen, and like to communicate with fellow
birders. If you fit the bill, please give me a shout.

Thanks everyone for making Vermont eBird so successful that I cry uncle!
Kent
Kent McFarland
Vermont Center for Ecostudies
PO Box 420 • Norwich, VT 05055