Hi Kevin,  Very much enjoyed your 'autobiography' in the recent VES
newsletter.  Thanks for sharing your life history and your
butterfly/dragonfly, etc pursuits.

My first of season monarch 'hatchling' (what do you call it???) has
just flown off on this lovely summer day.  Unfortunately did not
catch whether it was m of f... but it's safely emerged from its 5th
stage instar when collected - 14 days from chrysalis.

ruth stewart
e dorset

At 09:23 AM 8/14/2010, you wrote:
>As a matter of curiosity, I wanted to make a request. I am wondering
>about the status of the Checkered Skippers that were found towards
>the end of the survey period. They were first found in 05, then
>refound in 07 more commonly and widespread. Seen again in 08. I
>haven't heard any reports since and as the sightings were end of
>August into Sept. it is soon time to look. I am just curious as to
>whether they have continued to move north, whether they are more
>common where they have been found previous, whether they are even
>still around. Look in alfalfa or straw fields. There is a creeping
>mallow I believe they use. Hay fields don't usually have this plant
>as it is biennial and gets chocked out by the grass in a hay field.
>It flies like a duskywing and appears grayish. It moves fast,
>aggressively chases anything and is difficult to get close to. I saw
>them in Tamarac NY a couple of years ago at a dairy farm. This isn't
>in VT but, is very close. The big thing was, there were a couple of
>fields that were crawling with them. This seems to be more than just
>a vagrant flying in. It would be nice to watch and document.a
>current northward expansion in progress.

Stewarts
E. Dorset, Vermont
USA