Bob Pyle kicked off the Vermont Butterfly Survey for us back in 2002 with an amazing lecture and then a weekend of field trips. In fact, he is on our front page with a Harris' Checkerspot on his nose, a life butterfly for him while he was with us! http://www.vtecostudies.org/VBS/

For those of you who may not know, Bob Pyle's early books ("Watching Washington Butterflies" and the "Handbook for Butterfly Watchers" were the forerunners of the growing contingent of butterfly "watchers", well before NABA. Bob will be giving a talk, "Eden in a Vacant Lot" on Thursday, October 7 at 5:30 pm at the Palace Theatre in Syracuse. On Thursday the 7th and Friday the 8th he will be leading a walk at 10 am at the Baltimore Woods Nature Center in Marcellus, and doing a book signing for his new book on his butterfly Big Year on Friday afternoon. I've heard Bob speak on several occasions, and his talks are always outstanding - he is a captivating speaker who always provides plenty of interesting things to think about. Likewise being in the field with him is a complete pleasure - he is a consummate all around naturalist and teacher. His many accomplishments span literature and science and, and include being a founder of the Xerces Society.

Definitely worth it if you're in the area, and even further afield. Save the date. More info at www.baltimorewoods.org.

Kent McFarland
Vermont Center for Ecostudies
PO Box 420 Norwich, VT 05055