Hello VT Butterfly fans,
I'd like to report a new addition to the Vermont butterfly list. The
attached photo of a Giant Swallowtail was taken in Addison on 7-30-2010.
This species is known to stray north and I am not surprised we have finally
recorded this species in the state. I will add this record to the
Butterflies and Moths of North American database (see
http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/species?l=1366) and to the Vermont state
butterfly list as a vagrant (see
http://www.vtecostudies.org/VBS/VTstatelist.pdf). Depending on you taxonomic
pleasure (split or lump), this represents the 105 butterfly species found in
Vermont. The butterfly has apparently not been seen again there.

Of course, we are getting into that season in which southern vagrants come
north, so keep your binos peeled....

Kent
Kent McFarland
Vermont Center for Ecostudies