Kent,

I agree. A nice find but really not so surprising...These butterflies wander a lot, as this one apparently did (tails missing, somewhat beaten up etc.)...

"Keep you binocs peeled..." And nets also...

Alex

From: Vermont Butterfly Survey [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kent McFarland
Sent: Wednesday, August 04, 2010 10:04 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: new species for Vermont!

Hello VT Butterfly fans,
I'd like to report a new addition to the Vermont butterfly list. The attached photo of a Giant Swallowtail was taken in Addison on 7-30-2010. This species is known to stray north and I am not surprised we have finally recorded this species in the state. I will add this record to the Butterflies and Moths of North American database (see http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/species?l=1366) and to the Vermont state butterfly list as a vagrant (see http://www.vtecostudies.org/VBS/VTstatelist.pdf). Depending on you taxonomic pleasure (split or lump), this represents the 105 butterfly species found in Vermont. The butterfly has apparently not been seen again there.

Of course, we are getting into that season in which southern vagrants come north, so keep your binos peeled....

Kent
____________________________
Kent McFarland
Vermont Center for Ecostudies
PO Box 420 • Norwich, VT 05055
802.649.1431
http://www.vtecostudies.org/

CAUTION PLEASE NOTE: The information contained in this transmission is intended to be sent only to the stated recipient of the transmission.
If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or the intended
recipient's agent, you are hereby notified that we do not intend to waive
any privilege that might ordinarily be attached to this communication. Any
dissemination, distribution or copying of the information contained in this
transmission is therefore prohibited. You are further asked to notify us of
any such error in transmission as soon as possible at the telephone
number/email address shown above. Thank you for your cooperation.